Hardware-Assisted Virtualization Technology
Improving the fundamental flexibility and robustness of traditional software-based virtualization solutions
Hardware-based Intel® Virtualization Technology (Intel® VT)1 improves the fundamental flexibility and robustness of traditional software-based virtualization solutions by accelerating key functions of the virtualized platform, including:
- Speeding up the transfer of platform control between the guest OSs and the VMM
- Enabling the VMM to securely assign specific I/O devices to specific guest OSs
- Optimizing the network for virtualization with adapter-based acceleration
Virtualization is being used in a wide variety of industries and systems for new virtualization-based capabilities, including disaster recovery, high availability, and business continuity.
Hardware-assisted Intel® VT is built into every aspect of server platforms based on Intel® processor technology.
Get enhanced virtualization performance and seamless migration of workloads with the Intel® Xeon® processor family (Intel® VT-x) with integrated Intel® Virtualization Technology FlexMigration and Intel® Virtualization Technology FlexPriority.
Intel® Xeon® Processor 5600 Series with next-generation Intel® Virtualization Technology enables best-in-class virtualization performance, superb scalability, enhanced flexibility, and simplified server management.
Intel® Xeon® Processor 6500 Series delivers intelligent and scalable performance optimized for efficient data center virtualization.
Intel® Xeon® Processor E7 Family features flexible virtualization that automatically adapts to the diverse needs of a virtualized environment with built-in hardware assists.
Speed up data movement and reduce the performance overhead of virtualization with Intel® Virtualization Technology for Directed I/O.
Intel® Virtualization Technology (Intel® VT) for Connectivity (Intel® VT-c) is a collection of I/O virtualization technologies that enables lower CPU utilization, reduced system latency, and improved networking and I/O throughout. Intel® VT-c is one of the key component technology suites under Intel Virtualization Technology.
Intel® VT-c provides I/O technologies and optimizes virtualized performance through:
- Enhanced data acceleration across the Intel multi-core processor platforms
- Improved data processing performance across multiple queues on the network controller
Direct VM connectivity and data protection between the VMs
Intel® VT-c consists of platform-level technologies and initiatives that work together to deliver next-generation virtualized I/O including Virtual Machine Device Queues (VMDQ) and Virtual Machine Direct Connect (VMDC).
1. Intel® Virtualization Technology requires a computer system with an enabled Intel® processor, BIOS, virtual machine monitor (VMM) and, for some uses, certain platform software enabled for it. Functionality, performance or other benefits will vary depending on hardware and software configurations and may require a BIOS update. Software applications may not be compatible with all operating systems. Please check with your application vendor.